Monday, December 19, 2016

Respite

I was forced to take a few days off from life. Medical reasons. The Doctor told me to, and I almost always do what the Doctor tells me to do. Almost.

This time the Doctor told me to take it easy. Kick back. Put my legs up. And don't lift anything over 10 pounds for a week. Don't tell the Missus, but I was kind of excited about all of those things. I was looking forward to getting caught up on a bunch of TV shows that I have started to watch but then forgotten about. Instead of that, though, I have spent a lot of time reading one of my favorite books, The View From Rat Lake by John Gierach, for the 8th or 9th time. I'm sure you've read it... Not sure why I decided to read instead of watch, but I felt pretty good about my decision.
I was doing a lot of this for the past few days...

The one thing I was not anticipating during this medical time off was how much I would miss holding the Baby, who weighs much more than 10 pounds. She recently has been in a sort of "Daddy phase", following me around, calling out "Dada! Dada! Dada!", and holding her arms up to tell me she wants me to lift her up. During my medical respite, she would walk over to the chair I was lounging in, put her hands on my legs, and say "Dada! Dada! Dada!", but then look at me with a puzzled look when I didn't immediately grasp her in my arms. It kind of broke my heart...

So, I am currently on day 4 of my week-long medical sabbatical. I am slowly getting back into the flow of life. I am not kicking back with my feet up anymore. And I'm not completely taking it easy either. And, to be honest, I could only say no to my beautiful little girl for a couple of days. Hey, this might be the only "Daddy phase" she ever goes through! Don't tell the Doctor, ok?

4 comments: